When contemplating my recipe, I initially thought, well since Popchips are my favorite healthy snack, I’ll make something fun, creative and healthy. But the more time I spent brainstorming, the more I thought to myself, “Healthy game time snacking? That’s an oxymoron!”
Now, I’m exaggerating a bit, because there definitely are dozens of healthy game time snacks out there (I love munching on carrots, celery, etc.) but to be quite honest – what I usually go for first are the wings, the chili cheese dip, the nachos…you get my drift…
So what did all of this thinking lead me to? Why the heck not take my favorite healthy snack and turn it into delicious (not exactly nutritious) onion rings?! Popchips of choice? My favorite – Sea Salt and Vinegar.
So without further adieu, I hereby introduce: Poprings!
Ingredients for rings:
- 1 large onion sliced into rings
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can seltzer*
- 6 cups vegetable oil
- 1 3oz bag of Sea Salt and Vinegar Popchips
*Thank you Martha Stewart for your onion ring key ingredient tip!
- 3 tablespoons (Sweet Baby Rays) BBQ Sauce
- 1 tablespoon (Lea and Perrins) Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sprinkle of salt
1. Add vegetable oil in large pot – heat on high
2. Get a baking sheet ready by lining it with paper towels (set aside until needed)
3. Place onions in a bowl of ice water for about 15 minutes or so; drain and dry
4. Add (roughly) half of the bag of Popchips to a large Ziploc bag then crunch it up into small pieces (I didn’t use a food processor because I didn’t want it to become too fine…and because, well, I don’t have one!)
5. Place the crunched up Popchips into mixing bowl, next add flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and seltzer – whisk
6. Add the rest of the Popchips into a large Ziploc bag and crunch – place this into a bowl and set next to the batter
7. Dip each ring into the batter first and then into the crunched up Popchips bowl and finally, into the oil. Be careful not to crowd the pot with too many rings.
8. Once rings are a golden brown (about two minutes or so) scoop out and place on your paper towel lined baking sheet.
For the (very easy) dipping sauce:
1. Add 3 tablespoons BBQ Sauce of choice (my choice? Sweet Baby Rays) to bowl
2. Next, add 1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
3. Then 1 tablespoon honey
4. Lastly, a sprinkle of salt – mix all together
“Pop goes my heart!”…I’m in love with this poptastic treat – hope you will be too!